Thursday, July 26, 2018

Don't Laugh at My Writing Unless I'm Being Deliberately Funny

Okay, so I've been writing this book for awhile, and so far so good. Though, at one point I did have to go back and delete half of it and essentially start from scratch, but so far so good. As of right now, I am on the 3rd chapter, and it feels exciting. It's one thing to talk about being an author, but to actually start doing it... it's weird. I don't know if my book is really that good, the only other person who has read it is my mom. She said it was good, but it would be nice to have another person's opinion. The problem is, I'm pretty shy when it comes to sharing my work. It's not that I'm afraid of criticism. Being an English major, it's a requirement to welcome critiques with open arms, and other students are pretty ruthless. I'd much rather have a professor critique my work than other students. They can be downright cruel. I'm talking laughing at a story/poem that you spent a good deal of time on.
But I digress, I'm afraid to show other people because I really like what I've written so far. That is super rare for me, and probable a lot of other artists. So, if I show another person and they put it down, I'm scared that I won't like it anymore. I would just feel defeated.
Of course, if a book of mine happened to get published, I wouldn't expect everyone to like it. That's insanity. Everyone has their own taste. For example, a lot of people I know basically lived off Twilight when that was a thing. I, however, read the first chapter and decided it wasn't for me. Different taste.
But that's after my book gets published. Which is after I've learned all the important people like what I've written, so I don't have to care as much anymore. Up until then, I care a lot.

PS: This is a longer post, so I don't feel like going back and proofreading. Sorrie if their our typos.

1 comment:

  1. You should put the first chapter here in your blog. People who put it down are not helpful.
    All you want is constructive criticism. Ignore nonconstructive criticisms. You can blog about how you pick constructive criticism versus nonconstructive criticism. You can also choose to pick which criticisms are allowed in your comments.
    Some people laugh when they're uncomfortable. Some people even laugh when they're sad.
    They could be laughing at your poem because it makes them emotionally uncomfortable which may have been exactly what you were looking for (in regards to emotion).

    ReplyDelete