Friday, November 2, 2018

Happy Epilepsy Awareness Month

About a week ago I wrote a nonfiction essay about the different medications I've had to take to control my seizures.
Here's a little background:
I was diagnosed with epilepsy November of 2013. My first seizure happened while I was working; I was a server at a pizza cafe. I was diagnosed a couple weeks later. I didn't want to take medication at first, because I knew that my body would end up relying on it, but I didn't have a choice, and now I do rely on it. I've gone through three different medications, the first one was the worst one I was on. I'm still taking the second two together every single night.
Here's the essay. Hope y'all like it.



Drug Facts


KEPPRA

Symptoms may include but are not limited to: sleepiness, weakness, dizziness, and irritability. You will experience all of these symptoms. You will not speak to anyone, and when you do it will be curt and annoyed. Your mom will cry because she doesn’t know why you’re so rude, but she does know why, and that makes her cry more.
You will have to quit the dance team because practicing two hours a day at 6:00 a.m. five days a week will take too much of a toll on your mind and body, and you’ll bawl your eyes out when you see the Spring Showcase at the end of the year, because you had to give up something you truly adored.
Your grades will fall because you do nothing but sleep. You won’t be able to help it. Exhaustion will overcome you. You won’t remember you had homework until it’s too late—you’ll get rejected to the first college you apply to.

LAMICTAL

Symptoms may include but are not limited to: tremors, drowsiness, back pain, and sleep problems. You won’t notice these side effects until much later, but they come, and you won’t be surprised. You’ll be happy though, because, unlike the last medication, you won’t feel moody all the time. It will be like stepping out of a bubble. The bubble that you’ve been in for over a year. The one that made your friends go away.
Eventually, you’ll have to increase the dosage, because the twitches won’t go away. They won’t ever go away, but you don’t know that yet.
You’ll probably be on this medication for the rest of your life.

ZONEGRAN

Symptoms may include but are not limited to: loss of appetite, loss of coordination, drowsiness, and headaches. The headaches won’t be much of an issue, but you’ll start to notice other things. You won’t know whether it’s from the medication itself or from the epilepsy. You won’t care. You’ll just hope the combination of this drug with the one you’re on now will actually work. It will.
You’ll go over three years without a seizure. Technically, your doctor can try to take you off the medicine if you go over three years seizure free, but you’ll be too scared to stop taking it. You know it’s a crutch, one you might not be able to live without. You’ll purposefully miss a dose every now and then to see what would happen. The next day the twitches get worse, and you’ll be embarrassed when someone notices it, and you will pretend like you can’t see their face change when they do notice it.
And you’re back popping pills that same night.
The day of my first seizure ☮

0 comments:

Post a Comment