Friday, November 30, 2018

Group Projects=Death

Hi everyone! I've had a substantial increase in readers in the last couple weeks. I have my wonderful parents to thank for that. Also, thanks to everyone who read my story about my drug journey through epilepsy. It means a lot.
To the matter at hand, sorry for not keeping y'all up to date these past couple weeks. It's the end of the semester, so I'm very busy! While I have a free moment, I will share with you what I've been up to. For my class finals I have to:

  • Expand on one of my nonfiction essays
  • Collaborate with a team for a "client editing project" 
  • Do a secondary research report
  • Take another test (that's the easy one)
The client editing project is the most stressful. I was elected team leader, and I hate it (: 
Let me tell you why: my group has next to zero communication. As much as I try texting in our group chat, I don't get many responses, and when I do, it's hours later, which is very stressful. Two of my subordinates never complete their assigned work until a couple hours before class, which is also stressful, because I have to look over their work before I submit it. AND.... none of our schedules line up, so in the two weeks we've been working on this, we've had two group meetings, and neither of them included the entire group. 
Now, let me explain to you what the goal for this project is: my group has to edit, format, and put together a Wikipedia booklet on the RMS Lusitania. For those of you who don't know, the Lusitania was a British ocean-liner during WWI that was sunk by Germany. Since this ship was transporting over 100 American citizens, it was one of the deciding factors of United States' declaration of war on Germany. Interesting stuff. 
This Wikipedia page has a little of 10,000 words in it. That's 10,000 words that we have to copy/developmental edit, format, and throw into a booklet. We also have to write up a client letter to a fake client explaining to them why their Wikipedia page is garbage and why our booklet is better. This wouldn't be so bad if my team was capable of communicating with each other. But alas, it's up to me. Takeaway: I despise group projects.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment